As the year ends and Spring semester drags on to what feels like an unimaginable close and work keeps piling on, it’s easy to feel homesick and to want nothing more but to jump on the first flight home. Everyone goes through this at any point throughout the year, but it seems post-Spring Break a lot of students have this feeling because it is a particularly stressful time academically. Here are my tips for finding your little slice of home while you’re away from it:
- If you speak a different language at home, call home and speak only in that language, or listen to music in that language.
- Go through photos from happy memories.
- Call friends and family regularly to feel closer to them and so you’re all informed about what’s going on in each others’ lives.
- Eat or cook foods that remind you of home.
- Start traditions with your college friends- I find traditions are always sign of home.
- Keep a countdown for the date when you will leave home.
- Stay positive and tell yourself the day will arrive before you know- because it probably will!
Hopefully some of these tips work for you to fight your post-Spring Break homesickness. Comment below on what you like to do to battle homesickness!
If you have any questions, comments, or just want to chat, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. (Seriously, do. I love talking about Brown. I’m obsessed with this place.) Gracias!