“She doesn’t even go here!” Join me as I transition to life at Brown, and learn more about our fantastic campus through the ramblings of a recent transfer student. I’m Veronica Fletcher, a junior concentrating in Psychology & Hispanic Studies, and this is my Second Time Around.
As transfer students, we often feel like we’re running on limited time, but that doesn’t mean our Brown experience has to be limited in any way. Whether you’re on campus for 4 full years or just 2.5, learn how to make the most of your time at Brown with these tips:
1. Read Morning Mail. Like, really truly read it. (Am I the only one who actually does this any more? Very possibly. Has it helped me discover cool events I wouldn’t have known about otherwise? Absolutely.)
2. Do some around-campus sightseeing. Check out the tacos at Tallulah’s, the coffee at Dave’s, and the naan selection at Kabob and Curry. Grab a delicious diner-style breakfast at Loui’s or Brickway. Spend an afternoon immersed in art at the RISD Museum. Catch a movie at the delightfully cozy Cable Car Cinema. And be sure to read Ashlyn Mooney’s “Providence! A Quick and Dirty Guide for Transfers” for more ideas and inspiration.
3. Write or edit for a publication. Supposedly, this is something every college student should do before graduation. Brown has a plethora of newspapers, magazines, zines, and blogs that are always looking for great new content.
4. Go to the Student Activities Fair and sign up for way too many listservs.
5. Get active! In my experience, one of the best ways to meet new people is through mutual embarrassment and/or exhaustion. Learn to dance with Salsa at Brown or the Brown Swing Club. Find your inner peace with the Yoga and Mindfulness Community. Take a weekend trip with the Brown Outing Club, or get started on that half-marathon you’ve always dreamed of with the Running Club.
Thanks for reading! If you have thoughts or questions about this blog post, or any other aspect of the transfer experience, please feel free to email me at email@example.com, or leave a comment in the box below!