Welcome to Snapshots of Brown, your destination for pics of Brown all year long! I’m Celina Stewart, and I’ll be bringing you little photo insights into my third year on Brown’s campus. What’s up this week? Let’s take a look…
It’s that time of the year again. Everyone has solidified their summer plans to some extent, people are (somewhat foolishly) wearing shorts despite the weather, and everyone is working through finals period. For this last post, I just wanted to thank you all for reading throughout the year, and thank those of you who followed us on Twitter!
For this final post, I just wanted to highlight some of the amazing things that happened to me at Brown this year, as a small representation of what your time here could be. I started thinking about these yesterday, when I was taking a walk off campus in the East Side, which I captured in the photo for you. So, what has my year included?
This year, I…
- Successfully used up the vegetables in my Market Share, and learned how to perfect pie dough to accommodate all the apples I received. I’ve also developed a pretty solid muffin recipe that can be used for any root vegetable, including beets, parsnips, celeriac, and carrots.
- Hosted a Thanksgiving potluck with my closest friends, including roasting a whole turkey for the first time.
- Drove to Montreal with amazing friends and had a great fall break.
- Survived the great blizzard of 2015, and had fun doing so.
- Traveled to Cuba with the Brown University Chorus and worked with some of their amazing professional choirs.
- Attended a flamenco and tango performance.
- Saw the Poler Bears, Brown’s body-positivity inspired pole dancing team, perform.
- Heard some great a cappella performances by groups like the Higher Keys.
- Went to Nudity in the Upspace for their devised piece, which was a great experience.
- Saw a performance of the Vagina Monologues and finally went inside the Avon Theater on Thayer Street.
- Tried a whole host of new restaurants in Federal Hill and Downcity, while fighting hard for the rights of food truck owners to sell on campus (and bought as much from them as possible!).
- Had several enlightening conversations with friends, and learned a great deal about race and sexuality from those exchanges.
- Researched Byzantine food, compiled the recipes into a cookbook, and test-tasted seven recipes using the equivalent of Byzantine methods of cooking for a class.
- Am currently designing a board game for a different course, in which the players have to survive the High Middle Ages in order to win the game.
- Was accepted to pursue an International Relations Honors Thesis! I have been frantically applying for grant money to fund my research trip to Panama, Argentina, and Uruguay ever since.
- Read my first law textbook for my seminar, Computers, Freedom, and Privacy.
- Tried coding for the first time to figure out what all of my Computer Science friends are so into- and discovered that it is absolutely not for me.
- Gave my first “guest lecture” and was a Head Teaching Assistant for Cybersecurity and International Relations, a course I hope you all take if (when) you come to Brown!
I hope this gives you a small insight into what I have been up to, and what might be in store for you at Brown!
Want more snapshots and FAQ updates? Check out @thebruinclub on Twitter! Have questions or comments for me? Want more details? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll get back ASAP!