Hello, Brunonian family! I’m Jacklyne Vargas, nice to meet you all *insert imaginary handshake here*! I’m here to be your compass (well, that sounds heavy, doesn’t it?) in everything extracurricular here at Brown. If you’re reading this,
send help you are a magnetic force of your own and I’m simply helping you figure out what attracts you. In all The Extras, in all the magnetic forces here at Brown, you can easily be pulled in countless directions, but I’m here to help! If anything, we’ll go crazy together…
While we at Brown make a conscious effort to care for our peers and practice self-care as well, if you’d like to care for virtually everyone on Brown’s campus, there is just the extracurricular where you can do so: Brown EcoReps!
The EcoReps serve as “informed ambassadors, who work with their peers to create a culture of environmentally responsible behavior.”
Given that Brown is filled with fiercely passionate individuals who work for whatever cause they believe in, it comes as no surprise that environmental conservation/protection and sustainability is one of them!
The EcoReps take a multifaceted approach to making Brown and the environment more green. Some of what they do includes:
- Sorting out recyclables from landfill trash in the Trash Rooms of student dorms
- They even give our residential units a grade for how well we are sorting out recyclables on our own!
- Organize and assist in the new composting initiative in the Andrews Commons (eatery on campus)
- This began last week on March 3rd and it helps minimize the food waste going straight to landfills. Now, all foods, liquids and eating utensils can be composted!
- Run the annual dorm energy saving competition known as Brown Unplugged
- Their gist of the competition: “Brown Unplugged: Do it in the Dark pits on-campus dorms against each other in a three week battle to save energy. The dorm that reduces the most energy by March 21st wins a dinner where Spring Weekend tickets will be raffled off!”
- There is even a way to track how your dorm is doing in energy conservation compared to all other dorms on campus online!
Whether you are a firm advocate for environmental protection or you’d simply like to be more environmentally responsible, Brown EcoReps provides opportunities for everyone and anyone to be involved.
As always, all my love.
Don’t hesitate to leave any questions, comments, frustrations, tirades, rants,
chocolates, inquiries or suggestions (I’d love your input) either below or in my email, email@example.com! I’m seriously excited to interact with you all… Seriously. Have a delightful day!