Hello, Brown hopefuls! My name is Kimberly Truong and I am the awkward (but utterly thrilled) first-year behind A Fresh View. With that big question mark hovering over where you’ll be spending the next four years of your life, rest assured that this freshman will tell you her experience as she stumbles through the wonderful world of Brown.
So there’s a time when your Fresh View blogger gives you her awkward freshmen moments:
1. *Waves at someone you thought you know*
“Hey, I think we’ve met at the ice cream social?”
“Yeah, I’m sorry but I don’t remember.” Gives another standard introduction of the following: name, hometown, and intended concentration and never sees the person again.
2. So how do meal credits and points work again? Do you take credits now? WHY CAN’T YOU TAKE WHATEVER AT ANY TIME? (Darn you, Blue Room, I’m talking to you!)
3. Entering the room when your roommate is with her significant other… “Hey guys…”
4. During my 12:00 class, Professor asks: “So, who hasn’t eaten lunch before coming here?” *99% of lecture hall raised their hands*
5. Trying to understand the correct but obscure procedure for using a dental dam.
6. Pulling the Campus Center glass doors when there is an explicit direction to “push.” Brown students don’t have many requirements to follow anyways. So why “push” when you feel like pull? (Haha, trivial one, probably only applies to me.)
7. “Want to stop by the Ratty?” Umm, probably not…
8. Running into the guy going to the shower. With his girlfriend.
9. Getting caught with your hand in the condom bag outside your RPL’s door. It’s not worth getting them for free.
Now seriously, if you guys don’t send me questions, I am going to post a compilation of these moments. Not that I’m too lazy to think of ideas for posts, but I want to understand what your burning questions about Brown are while not repeating content already covered in last year’s column (a good handful of you browsed last year’s Fresh View posts). So please ask away! I’m probably going to do a general FAQ post next week but I’d like to hear your ideas for future posts as well.
Any questions or suggestions for my next post? Please send them my way at email@example.com. I’m happy to answer and heed to all of them!